Matthew McConnaughey wins Best Actor Oscar award for 2014



On March 2nd, 2014 Matthew McConnaughey won the Oscar for Best Actor in a Motion Picture "Dallas Buyers Club".

What I most liked about the Oscars was actually his speech. It was powerful and resonated with me.

In his acceptance speech, he mentioned:  "There's three things that I need each day. One of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward and another is someone to chase," he said in the run-up to his acknowledgment of God.

"First off, I want to thank God, 'cause that's who I look up to. He's graced my life with opportunities that I know is not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Lawton who said 'when you got God, you got a friend and that friend is you,'" he said before continuing the rest of his speech.

McConaughey's surprise acknowledgement of God in his speech drew attention across the Internet from many conservatives, including Texas Gov. Rick Perry who tweeted "Texas boy counting his blessings" Monday morning.

Something to Look Up to

He mentioned God as a person he looks up to. God has shown him that it’s a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. So, whatever you believe in – a higher power, the law of attraction or just karma, if you have someone greater to look up to – they become your guiding force toward success. As well as, humble you during your good and bad days. Symbolically, they also provide the hope we need to continue and fight for what we believe in.

Look forward to                                               

He mentioned his family. I’m a big believer that authenticity is hard to find. But, when you do find it, hold on to it. As someone once said, “Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wing, but only character endures.” When it comes to family and if you're lucky – you can't get any more authentic than that. They allow us to become the best possible version of ourselves and remind us what’s worth fighting for. They are also our biggest fans during our ups and supporters during our down moments. And, God had his reasons for picking them – so don’t disappoint him.

Someone to Chase

He mentioned he was always chasing the 10-year-older version of himself - even today. I find that quite humbling. Because, it shows us that the biggest role models we can actually have is ourselves. As we get older, we get wiser, we learn from our mistakes and we prosper as human beings. Never read the headlines, be your own headline. Perfection is hard to chase, but if you're chasing the future you – you’ll know the power you have is actually limitless.
“No one wanted to make the film for 20 years,” Matthew related. “It got turned down 137 times. And then it came across my desk. I jumped on with the team that was trying to get it made and we somehow got it made and got it across the line. That was a minor miracle in itself so it felt great. Then I saw the first cut that Jean-Marc (Vallee, director) sent me to look at. I was like, oh, I think we may have gotten it on camera. I think we have a good film here.”

Elated

He was elated that a film that almost didn’t get made due to financing hurdles scooped three Oscars. “Jared (Leto) won, the makeup and hair (Adruitha Lee and Robin Matthews) won with a $250 budget. They were stealing charcoal and stuff to do our makeup. That’s extra rewarding for me because I was a part of that team that was trying to push the thing over the hill that nobody wanted to make.”

“I’m standing here now,” said Matthew, dapper in an off-white tux jacket and black pants. “I got a prize for excellence for the work I do in something that’s not my job, not my hobby and it’s not my fad. It’s my career. That feels wonderful. In 1992, when I was one week into my first job, ‘Dazed and Confused,’ my father moved on. Now [I see that] he got to be alive for me doing the one thing that was not my fad, hobby or job. We didn’t know it then but it turned out to be my career. That’s why he (his father) came to my mind tonight. It feels wonderful.”

Maybe you are on the verge of giving up? Maybe you are stuck in your fears? Then remember how God has blessed you and protected you in the past. Reflect on the times when He has called you to a task and worked out the details to help you succeed. The same God who encouraged you in the past, who has walked with you through hardships and blessings, is walking with you today.

These are three great rules and principles to live by each morning. And, if we are determined to live by them – there isn’t a single thing we can’t do, including winning an Oscar.

Not forgetting the Author and Finisher of our race- Jesus Christ 

Him and Him alone

Just remember, our culture has no shortage of worldly voices and pressures that fill minds and influence behavior. Only when we intentionally schedule time for God, His Word, and His people can Christ do His transforming work in our lives.

It is not true that if you follow God's will, you will have a life of ease. Often, the way of God involves circumstances in which we must trust in the Lord and draw on His truth and strength.
Jesus was the God-man. Yet His life on this earth was filled with trials He had to endure. And we should expect to encounter trials during our sojourning in this world, but we can endure if we draw strength from the One who has paved the way for us.

As Bob and Debbie Gass rightly say it in their devotional: God gave you gifts that make you unique, gifts that hold great possibilities. But you have to discover them and develop them. A sign on a DIY shop says it all: 'We've got it, if you can find it.' Nobody was ever born without talent, including you, but you've got to find it. What keeps us from doing that? (1) The company we keep. The old saying goes, 'If you run around with turkeys, you'll never fly with eagles.' The Scripture says, 'He who walks with wise men, will be wise...' (Proverbs 13:20 NKJV). (2) Failing to spend time in prayer and in God's Word. God is not only the giver of your gift, He supplies the strength to function successfully in it.

Aristotle said, 'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.' So if you want to succeed, consult God, and operate in your God-given strength.

Blessings,

Raj Kosaraju

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rambabu – Testimony of Hindu Brahmin from Karnataka

Mahatma Gandhi admired Jesus and His teachings but did not follow "Christianity"

The Story of Sadhu Sundar Singh- his encounter with Jesus